Thursday, January 20, 2011

Buckwheat pancakes for autoimmune sufferers


Okay so I began this gluten free life because I was trying to feel better and have a better quality of life. On this 5+ year road I discovered I have Hashimoto's disease and that it is an autoimmune disease...now I am learning that it is a good idea to try to avoid foods that cause inflamation not just gluten...and while the list seems to grow and grow, my quality of life improves and improves.

So here it my latest find...grains should be avoided too, not just gluten...I found on the internet...buckwheat pancakes. Buckwheat is NOT a grain.

Turn griddle on medium
mix one cup buckwheat flour (found it in a whole foods' store bulk section)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar
2 tbs. potato starch
one cup milk of your choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
2 tbs. olive oil

pour on to greased griddle with a ladle
when bubbles form put a cover over it for about 30 seconds then flip and put cover on again for 30 seconds then test with a knife for doneness and then enjoy! I poured a little warm maple syrup on imy pancakes and OMG...delish!

shopping in bulk foods was new for me...cheaper...win win...so many of these products we people with special eating needs have to buy are so costly...bulk food sections help A LOT!

No comments: