Saturday, March 29, 2008

Veggie sauce


I have recently been trying to perfect a veggie sauce to replace tomato-based sauces and this one is a keeper. I avoid anything with tomatoes as the acid bothers me, even on acid reflux meds, which I try not to have to take.


Boil the following for about ten min. in about 2-3 cups of water

2 carrots, cut up
1 celery stalk, cut up
onion, cut up.

Then add about 1/3-1/2 of a can of drained beets to the vegetables and the water they boiled in and blend in a blender until saucelike consistency. Add cooked ground beef, (about one patty-sized amount) if desired, basil, salt and pepper, oregano, garlic powder. The spice usage is totally your personal preference. I think the key is to have fun trying. That does not mean there will never be a flop. But now and then you produce something incredible and the joy, for me, comes in being creative.

I ladled mine over cooked spaghetti squash (I baked the squash in the oven) but you can also serve this sauce over any of the pastas you can tolerate. I prefer Tinkayada white rice spaghetti.

Well...happy day...I will be writing my fingers to the bone and loving every minute of it. I am at 30,000 words in the novel I am writing and can't wait to see what is on the next page...bye bye


No comments: