Sunday, September 28, 2008

Hambone to pick with you...

We bought a spiral ham and after taking slices off and bagging them up to freeze I decided to boil the bone for a while to make ham soup. I added peeled and cut up carrots and potatoes to the broth after removing the bone, and then cut up cabbage, onions and celery. I tasted it and added pepper and a little powdered garlic and a little salt, the ham was salty enough. After the vegetables were softnened I picked the ham off the hambone and added this to the soup. We all loved the soup. Good day of eating. With the overcast sky and the feeling of Autumn in the air it is homemade soup season and this one was a winner!

I did squeeze in a ten mile bike ride. It was really dark south of here so I didn't want to get rained on if I got too far south before heading back... I did the five and then turned around and rode the five back...the cut off yoga pants under my stretchy jeans worked out nicely...I was much more comfy riding.

OOPS! I just realized I forgot to mention that I also added ONE 10 oz. CAN OF UNDRAINED PINTO BEANS.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am making my hambone soup today! it is in the crockpot. I put in tomatos, corn, green beans, baby limas, okra, carrots, onion, and potatoes. I can hardly wait for dinner time!

Lynn Barry said...

OOh...crockpot...good idea...let me know how it turned out. We must have been on the same wavelength. HUGS

Flamenco Mom said...

Stop it, you're both making me hungry! LOL...Thanks, now I know what to make for dinner tomorrow. HUGS

Li loves David said...

I read your post and promptly added "ham" to my grocery list. I love to make hambone soup! It's almost as good as eating large quantities of ham to get to the bone. :)