Saturday, April 26, 2008

Cashew Cheese tomato-free gluten free lasagna


I made some cashew cheese and had a hankerin' for something that looked and tasted like lasagna, so off to the kitchen I went.

Cashew cheese (recipe from vegcooking.com, chef Ann Gentry)

1 1/2 cups raw cashews
Cold water enough to cover nuts by 2 inches
1/3 cup water
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Let Cashews soak for 2 hours, then drain. Put nuts and all the ingredients in food processor and process for 5 min., cover and keep at room temp. for 1-2 days, but no longer, and then store in fridge and use for up to 5 days.

On to the lasagna...

I discovered 8 (10 would have been better) no bake rice lasagna noodles in my cupboard and followed the directions fairly closely on the box. Unfortunately I threw the box out and can't remember the company name. I adapted the recipe so I do remember what I did...

I blended a drained can of beets and about four peeled carrots in the blender, added water and garlic cloves and spices like basil, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper and then a little fennel and a little crushed red pepper and olive oil and a handful of mushrooms. It made about 4 cups of sauce. I cooked about a half pound of ground beef and a cup of chopped onion and a bunch of sliced mushrooms and set aside. I layered a 9 X 13 pan with sauce, then noodles,then meat mix, then cashew cheese, repeat...I topped it with some grated parmesan (I don't do dairy, but I wanted a little parmesan flavor in the mix).I covered the pan with foil and baked it in a 350 deg. preheated oven for one hour.

The strange thing about this creation is that the sauce looked red when I made it, but the lasagna is a goofy shade of yellow and brown so it does not look at all like lasagna. The pic even came out so bad I didn't post it...but it is yummy. I cut it all up and bagged it and today I took out a portion, warmed it in the micro, and enjoyed it again.

Don't judge nontrad lasagna by its looks...it might just be delish!

NEWS FLASH!!!! I rode my bike four miles today...first ride of the year. It was great. It took me back 40 years...I was a bike riding fool back then. It is good to be back in the saddle again.

No comments: