Sunday, April 27, 2008

Thinking outside the tomato box


I have made the sauce that has no tomatoes but looks like tomato sauce because it has beets and carrots and the two combined create a lovely red appearance, but this got me thinking that it really does not have to be red. I had no beets today and had leftover spaghetti squash which had me a hankerin' for something spaghetti-ish so I cooked up some ground beef and mushrooms and then I started dropping veggies in the blender and voila...veggie sauce...not even red...so there! Ok, I used peeled and cut up carrots, chopped onion and celery and a clove of garlic, and some basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and water. After blending I added the sauce to the cooked meat mix and heated through, then poured over warm spaghetti squash. I did sprinkle a little paremesan cheese on top for taste. It was wonderful...I like thinking outside the tomato box. So what if the sauce is orange and the noodles are yellow... the taste is pure gold.

No comments: