Monday, May 19, 2008

Cashew cheesy rice and flop flop...

I made two flops over the weekend and was feeling a little gun shy about working in the kitchen but this dish came out delish so I decided to post it.

Made cashew cheese (recipe posted in a past post) and added rice milk, dry mustard, and pepper...mixed well... and then added this to leftover rice and then baked the mixture in a 350 deg. oven for 25 min. It is tasty and filling.

Okay so I had two flops...I don't want to talk about it...okay...twist my arm.

Saturday I decided to make something that was similar to the sloppy jo recipe handed down from my mother-in-law that everyone loves, but I used carrots instead of tomato for the sauce. I ground up carrots and added celery and onion and garlic (there is no garlic in mother-in-law's recipe) and added rice flour to thicken and cooked ground beef and a little mustard and vinegar and sugar, but no no no it was not like mother-in-law made or anyone else's sloppy jo recipe for that matter...so is that a bad thing? When you eat it and can't decide if you like it, it's bad...I kept telling myself that everything in it is good for me so I should love it...but it ended up in the garbage can...then on Sunday I was feeling ambitious and tried to make soba noodles...noodles made from buckwheat flour and water. Well, I mixed up buckwheat flour and water and rolled it out and cut it up into strips and boiled them in water and drained them and there I had a colander filled with homemade brownish black noodles and I tasted one and said "Blech!" They tasted to me like dirt, smelled musty...okay...no go with soba...at least my homemade version of soba...BUT did I leave it alone? NO...I added cashew cheese and spread it in a pan to bake...even topped with crushed up Frito Lay chips...after it baked for a half hour I tried it and again, I could not tell if I liked it... but the thought of eating anymore of it made me nauseous, so needless to say my garbage can was full (burp) this weekend. Chow...

No comments: